What two conditions can be a blessing in the fall for people living in drought-stricken areas, but can wreak havoc on roofing system gutters? That's right, rain and high winds!
Every season has its ups and downs, and autumn in Welland is no exception. Fall is a beautiful time of the year in most parts of the country, but it does bring rain and high winds. And sometimes, our roofing systems don't stand a chance for some obvious reasons. Keep reading to find out.
Want to avoid paying hundreds or thousands for repairs? It's vital that you properly maintain your gutters every year.
Clean gutters ensure that water drains properly. Instead of pooling up around or behind structures, it is directed towards the designated area.
Water damage can be very costly, and in some cases, repair may not even be enough.
If your gutters are stuffed up with debris, you might need to replace them entirely. Once a portion of a roof has been torn off, there's no going back. It will require a replacement.
Ice dams occur when too much snow builds up on a roof and freezes over time, resulting in ice buildup. This hinders water from draining off successfully, which can become a considerable problem during winter.
Ice forms around this dam and further increases its size while also resulting in water damage.
Insects like bees and wasps can build nests inside your gutters, which is not a good thing. They also lay eggs in these places, making it even worse. When you clean gutters regularly and ensure that there aren't any insects living in them, you can avoid this problem.
We recommend Springtime, even though some homeowners choose to do it during the fall or winter months. The main reason for this is that it's easier to tell if your gutter system needs repair or replacement on an annual basis instead of every 2-3 years.
During winter, snow acts as an insulator, which can conceal other problems within your gutters. This makes it more challenging to identify the issues at hand due to other possible reasons for water damage or ice dams. It isn't always clearly visible if there are holes in gutter materials or not.
The best time to clean gutters is when they're clear of leaves and other debris, such as pine needles, oak, and maple leaves. This makes it easier to access the inside and provides a better sweep.
You'll need a ladder to gain access to your gutters. Other items you may require are:
There are several different ways to clean gutters, but all of them follow a similar procedure:
• Note: Before attempting to clean your gutters, you may want to consider calling a professional. This will prevent frustrations and is usually much quicker than for those who have never done it before.
• After placing the ladder in a location, use a tool such as a leaf blower to push the leaves and other debris into one area.
• Once all of the large debris is gone, it is time to rinse out your gutters with water from either a hose or bucket. This will help the small particles fall to the ground.
• Then inspect your gutter system. Look for any large holes or tears in the gutter, you can be patch them with roofing cement. Ensure there aren't any plants growing near where the roof covering meets the wall by removing them so water will flow freely.
• Now, it's time to replace any damaged parts of the gutter system. If your gutters are nailed to the fascia board, this may require removing brick or siding so you can access the nail heads holding the gutters in place. However, if nails aren't protruding above the outside wall, you won't need to remove anything to access your gutters.
• After making needed repairs replace the siding or brick and reattach nails for any loose gutters.
• Once inspection is over, it's time to clean out the downspouts by using a hose. This will remove all debris that may have accumulated there.
• Finally, check the ground where the downspouts are empty to ensure there is no standing water. If there is, dig out your downspouts so the water can drain properly.
Gutter maintenance is just as necessary and should be done regularly throughout the year. Here are some things you can do to help keep the gutters in your roofing system clean:
Worried about your gutters? Well, there's no time like the present to get them clean! Follow the steps in this article and make sure your gutters are ready. Autumn weather is coming your way!
Roofing Welland believes in gutter maintenance to ensure an effective residential roofing system.
Need expert roofers? Contact Roofing Welland!
We do roof repairs and replacements in Welland and the Niagara region. Call us now!